Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Breads from Anna Yeast Free Bread Mix Oral Challenge to Test for Corn/Corn Derivatives


WARNING:
I strongly recommend that you do not attempt any oral food challenges unless you are in the presence of your physician.  Although I have not yet experienced an anaphylactic reaction to corn or my other allergens, I did have epinephrine auto-injector pens available (prescribed for my allergy to most antibiotics).   

Critical Update

This product is no longer safe for corn-allergic consumers due to the corn-derived xanthan gum.  I filed an adverse reaction report with their local department of health, and they are investigating their corn-free claims.   

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 


I have been conducting oral challenges of products advertised as "corn free" by the manufacturer.  If I experience a corn allergy reaction, I then file reports with the manufacturer, the FDA, and the FTC. 

March 17-20, 2018
Oral challenges of “Breads from Anna, Yeast Free Bread Mix”
UPC Code 896578000135
Lot #010302
Best By: 01/23/20

I have conducted several oral challenges of this product over several days, and I have not experienced any allergic reaction.  The product states that it is free of gluten, dairy, corn, soy, nut, yeast, rice, and potato.  I am not allergic to gluten or potato; however, I am allergic to dairy, corn, soy, 2 nuts (pecans/pistachios), yeast, and rice (all confirmed via skin-scratch tests and failed oral challenges).  I have determined that this product is “safe for me,” however, it may not be safe for everyone, and I would trial with caution. 

For allergy comparison, my corn allergy tested at 1+ on skin-scratch testing in 2011; however, my reactions to corn/corn derivatives have significantly escalated in the last couple of years.  None of my other allergens tested more than 2+ on skin testing, yet my reactions can be quite severe.

In the event you experience a corn allergy reaction to a product that is labeled "corn free" (or a reaction to any other product that is mislabeled), refer to instructions for filing reports in the following links:

Non-FDA-Compliant "Corn-Free" Claims (Revised 11/16/17); Title 21 U.S.C. - Section 343, Chapter 1 - Adulterated or Misbranded Foods or Drugs


FTC Filing a Complaint to Report False and Misleading Labeling


Diane H., Corn Allergy Advocate

Corn Allergy Advocacy/Resources
https://cornallergyadvocacyresources.blogspot.com/
@CornAllergy911


No comments:

Post a Comment

CLINICIANS: MEDICAL MALPRACTICE ALERT; DEXTROSE (CORNSTARCH SUGAR) CONTRAINDICATED FOR CORN-ALLERGIC PTS

CLINICIANS: MEDICAL MALPRACTICE ALERT DEXTROSE (CORNSTARCH SUGAR) CONTRAINDICATED FOR CORN-ALLERGIC PTS. https://cliniciansmedicalmalpractic...