Thursday, March 15, 2018

Argo Cornstarch Oral Challenge to Test Hypothesis Presented by the ACAAI


 WARNING:
I strongly recommend that you do not attempt any oral food challenges unless you are in the presence of your physician.  Although I have not yet experienced an anaphylactic reaction to corn, I did have epinephrine auto-injector pens available (prescribed for my allergy to most antibiotics).

I conducted an oral challenge of Argo cornstarch this afternoon based on the following declaration by the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (ACAAI).

"Corn Allergy," ACAAI
"Most corn-derived products, like cornstarch and high-fructose corn syrup, do not contain corn protein. If you have a corn allergy, you do not need to avoid these products."

March 15, 2018
Oral challenge of Argo cornstarch
UPC Code 761720071045
Lot #15:40 03208
Best By: 01/16/21

I consumed one level teaspoon of cornstarch dissolved in ½ cup filtered water at 3:26 pm.  My corn allergy reaction began at approximately 4 pm (acute abdominal swelling and pain, accompanied by a pounding, racing heart—90 BPM*, where my normal resting pulse rate averages 60 BPM).  Note that I only tested at 1+ for corn allergy on my skin-scratch tests in 2011; however, my reactions to corn/corn derivatives can be quite severe and have been escalating since my allergy to corn was confirmed. 

I contacted the ACAAI (847) 427-1200 at 4:15 pm to inform them of my oral challenge and resulting allergic reaction, and took an antihistamine at 4:20 pm.

5:25 pm:  I am still in utter misery from my reaction to this oral challenge of cornstarch.  It looks like I’m 7 months’ pregnant (“corn baby”).  My heart is still pounding, and my pulse rate is now 80 BPM.

6:40 pm:  My allergic reaction to this oral challenge continues, even after taking an antihistamine at 4:20 pm (acute abdominal swelling, pounding heart, and my pulse rate remains at 80 BPM).

8:45 pm:  My allergic reaction is slowly abating; but I am still experiencing abdominal swelling, pounding heart, and my pulse has decreased to 77 BPM.  In hindsight, I should have consumed ½ teaspoon of cornstarch instead of one teaspoon.

10:45 pm:  Although my allergic reaction to this oral challenge is improving, I still feel miserable!

I recently purchased a bottle of corn syrup for which I was going to conduct another oral challenge based on the declaration by the ACAAI that corn syrup is safe for anyone with an allergy to corn; however, due to my severe reaction to cornstarch today, I have decided that I will not proceed with an oral challenge of corn syrup.  Based on prior consumption of corn syrup, I already know that I react to corn syrup.

CONCLUSION
:
Cornstarch must be strictly avoided if you are allergic to corn.

Petition Demanding that the ACAAI Remove False Statement Re: Cornstarch/High Fructose Corn Syrup
https://petitions.moveon.org/sign/demand-that-the-acaai.fb47?source=c.fb&r_by=19717774

My March 27, 2018, Certified Letter to the ACAAI  Re: Cornstarch and Corn Syrup
https://cornallergyadvocacyresources.blogspot.com/2018/03/my-march-27-2018-certified-letter-to.html


Reactions to Cornstarch and Corn Syrup:
"Allergy Symptoms of High Fructose Corn Syrup," Aglaee Jacob, RD, Healthy Eating, SFGATE
"The most common symptoms that you may experience from high-fructose corn syrup if you are allergic to corn include an itchy sensation in your mouth, swelling of your mouth, hives, eczema, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, a drop in your blood pressure and even breathing difficulty. If you get a severe reaction or have difficulty breathing, seek immediate medical attention. If you are allergic to corn, avoid all products containing corn-derived ingredients including high-fructose corn syrup."

"Corn Syrup Allergy," Steady Health

‘Fructose-and sorbitol-reduced diet improves mood and gastrointestinal disturbances in fructose malabsorbers’; Ledochowski M, Widner B, Bair H, Probst T, Fuchs D; 2000

"The Perils/Joys of Being Allergic to High Fructose Corn Syrup," Fragments, February 9, 2011

“Allergic reactions due to glove-lubricant-powder in health-care workers," M. Crippa, G. Pasolini, International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health, November 1997, Volume 70, Issue 6, pp 399–402
"This study seems to suggest that corn-starch powder may act as a type I allergen itself."

“Deadly Powder on Medical Gloves: A Wake-Up Call to the Food and Drug Administration," Richard F. Edlich, MD (January 31, 2012), iUniverse. pp. 8–. ISBN 978-1-4697-4417-9
Both the United Kingdom and Germany have banned the use of cornstarch on medical gloves because it can injure healthcare workers and patients and can cause life-threatening injuries and even death. For the last ten years, author Richard F. Edlich has worked to persuade the US Food and Drug Administration to ban this dangerous powder in medical environments.

"FDA Proposes Ban of Powdered Medical Gloves," Robert Lowes, March 21, 2016, Medscape
"The healthcare industry gradually switched from talcum powder to cornstarch. Research showed it to be just as problematic, if not more so. With NRL gloves, aerosolized cornstarch can transport latex proteins capable of triggering respiratory allergic reactions, according to the FDA. Other adverse events include severe airway inflammation, wound inflammation, granulomas, and postoperative adhesions, all of which occur with synthetic as well as NRL gloves dusted with cornstarch."

"corn syrup and corn starch allergy," WebMD

Removing a Food Protein Does Not Guarantee an Allergen Hypoallergenic


*Pulse rate confirmed using “Pulse Oximeter,” Model OxyWatch C20.



Diane H., Corn Allergy Advocate
Corn Allergy Advocacy/Resources


No comments:

Post a Comment

The intentional endangerment of corn-allergic citizens by U.S. regulatory agencies. [DOCUMENTED]

I was diagnosed with an IgE-mediated allergy to corn in 2011, and have been a full-time corn allergy advocate/researcher since 2014. My pu...