Wednesday, May 31, 2017

The Joint Commission

"An independent, not-for-profit organization, The Joint Commission accredits and certifies nearly 21,000 health care organizations and programs in the United States. Joint Commission accreditation and certification is recognized nationwide as a symbol of quality that reflects an organization’s commitment to meeting certain performance standards."
https://www.jointcommission.org/about_us/about_the_joint_commission_main.aspx

I called The Joint Commission at 630-792-5000; and explained that after my surgery in March the hospital could not comply with the surgeon-ordered liquid diet, since the hospital did not have any corn-free liquids on their premises even though my allergy to corn was clearly documented in my medical records.  They explained that even though I was not harmed, since I declined the liquids; I should still file a report with their agency.  I also forwarded corn allergy information to their agency so they, too, will be educated about this allergy.


REPORT A PATIENT SAFETY EVENT
If a hospital cannot accommodate your allergy; or, for example, insists upon administering corn-derived dextrose IV fluids after you have informed them that you are allergic to corn, please file a report:
https://www.jointcommission.org/report_a_complaint.aspx



Diane H., Corn Allergy Advocate
Corn Allergy Advocacy/Resources
@CornAllergy911

No comments:

Post a Comment

The intentional endangerment of corn-allergic citizens by U.S. regulatory agencies. [DOCUMENTED]

I was diagnosed with an IgE-mediated allergy to corn in 2011, and have been a full-time corn allergy advocate/researcher since 2014. My pu...