Monday, August 26, 2019

Oral Challenge of Beech-Nut® Naturals Baby Food

WARNING:
I strongly recommend that you do not attempt any oral food challenges unless you are in the presence of your physician.  Although I have not yet experienced an anaphylactic reaction to corn, I do have epinephrine auto-injector pens available (prescribed for my allergy to most antibiotics and petroleum/petrolatum).

I just trialed two new products today, August 26, 2019, and survived without any reaction.  My main concern was whether or not waxed-coated apples were used in the processing due to my anaphylactic allergy to petroleum (most of these wax coatings are not only corn-based, but also petroleum-based).  I called the company before trialing, and they assured me these should be safe for me.

At 12:15 pm, I trialed Beech-Nut Naturals Just Pears (Non-GMO Project Verified, 4 oz., UPC 052200171042).  If they contained corn, I would have reacted within 20 minutes.  If they contained petroleum, I would have reacted within 30 minutes (acute asthma which lasts for three days).  This product is "safe for me."

At 1:35 pm, I trialed Beech-Nut Naturals Just Sweet Potatoes (Non-GMO Project Verified, 4 oz., UPC 052200171028).  Again, no reaction; therefore, this product is "safe for me."




Diane H., Corn Allergy Advocate
Corn Allergy Advocacy/Resources
@CornAllergy911


Reference:

Undeclared petroleum in Martinelli's Gold Medal® Unfiltered Apple Juice

UPC 041244001545
Product Code: 16:37E
Best By Date:  Jan 15, 2021

My most dangerous physician-confirmed allergy is to petroleum/petrolatum (acute asthma which takes 3 days for the petroleum to be eliminated from my system). As a result, I cannot consume any fruits or produce with petroleum-based wax coating. Even when I wash the wax off, the petroleum permeates the skin into the meat. On June 2, 2019, I consumed Martinelli's unfiltered apple juice, and suffered a severe asthma episode requiring antihistamine and steroid (the episode lasted for three days). When I contacted their company this afternoon, they indicated that occasionally they process petroleum-based wax-coated apples to manufacture this juice.

6/4/19 - Filed complaint with the California Department of Health.
6/5/19 - Filed complaint with the FDA
6/5/19 - Filed complaint with Walmart Corporate Office, 479-273-4000


No comments:

Post a Comment

The intentional endangerment of corn-allergic citizens by U.S. regulatory agencies. [DOCUMENTED]

I was diagnosed with an IgE-mediated allergy to corn in 2011, and have been a full-time corn allergy advocate/researcher since 2014. My pu...