Thursday, June 18, 2020

Contact-Reactive to Corn: Personal Testimonies

If you are reacting to clothing, carpeting, bedding, etc., you may be allergic to CORN!

             An allergy to corn can be ingestion-reactive, inhalation-reactive, and contact-reactive. [1]  For corn-allergic consumers who are contact-reactive to corn, trying to source corn-free textiles can be a daunting task; since manufacturers are not required to disclose the use of corn-derived fibers or corn-derived dyes on their labels. [2]  Iowa Corn confirms the use of corn in the manufacturing of textiles, dyes and inks, carpet tile, sports and active wear, leather tanning, and rayon; [3] and other manufacturers are also adopting the use of corn-derived fibers. [4-8]

            The following personal testimonies from members of one corn allergy support group describe their efforts to source corn-free textiles, in addition to other products, due to their contact-reactivity to corn.               

Testimonies Reprinted with Permission:

"My daughter (4) breaks out with anything more than an 80 blend if polyester and rashes with 100 that has direct contact with her skin. We layer new carpet a year and a half ago and she had a slight reaction but couldn't figure out if it was the cleaner or the adhesives to lay it." - AK

" My son and daughter both react to poly esters...no carpet in our home except a wool area carpet...for same reason. My son broke out in a head to to rash, screaming bloody murber ...when we put him in a poly fleece sleeper as an infant. We had to buy all 100% cotton. Kids react to poly sport uniforms etc. Coach said Cotton is Rotten..until he saw the polyrash." - TGB

"I can’t even go into a store that sells carpet. I made the mistake at Christmas to go into a store that sold many things, toys, home decor, etc. I went by a section that had rug and carpets and I hit massive allergy migraine and felt sick, my bp dropped snd I went white, I thought I was going throw up and I was coughing, I had heart palpitations and massive brain fog, got really tired. I had to leave immediately I considered my Epi pen, but took medication first and went outride. Spent many days recovering feeling sick.
I also react to synthetic clothing. Coats, sweaters, boot lining, heavily dyed fabrics. I get hives" - ML

"I have to not use paper towel or toilet paper or shampoo soaps dish soap clothes soap hand soap house cleaning supplies. My sheet is made of bamboo so are my towels.  The most frustrating part is I had to sell my house that I raised my children in. I had a4 bedroom home with some equity Why you ask. Because I can’t work in public. The coughing the sneezing the mucus on then my voice going out. Which is my vocal cords protecting themselves. According to My allergist and the th ER Doctor Couldn’t and can’t find any at home jobs. Still looking and praying to God for direction. I sold my house so that I could use my funds left over from the sell of my house to live. I’m a 54 yr young woman now with no home living In a RV. It’s the cheapest I have found to live monthly for rent clothes lights water etc. still hopeful. - SS

"I can't wear polyester. I get horrible and painful pimples on my back and chest. It also causes eczema on most of my body. Realizing this has caused me to have to change out a lot of my wardrobe." – RB

"Well I don’t know if I can speak for everybody that has this issue but for me, I started noticing that every time I sought on my sofa I would start having a reaction even when I had not ate or drank anything yet that day. It took me a little while to figure out because I thought I was reacting to everything I was eating when sitting on my sofa so it took me a while to figure it out and finally I just discovered that I was in fact reacting to myself then I started noticing that when I would wear my yoga pants I would start reacting. I actually had to go on intermittent fasting in order to figure these things out because I had to make sure that I was not eating or drinking anything around the time that I was reacting. Now even from my anniversary my husband gave me what he thought Was a 100% cotton jacket. The inside seem to be made of silk. I put it on and I went to Joann fabrics to make masks for the pandemic and on the way there my throat started getting really raw and my face started getting hot and my voice got raspy while I was talking on the phone to my mother. Yeah yeah I know I’m not supposed to talk on a cell phone and drive but I was on speaker so don’t judge me. Anyway, I started thinking to myself wait a minute, this is how I react when I’m on my sofa and if I wear anything it’s polyester. And sure enough the lining of the jacket was made from polyester. I didn’t take long to put two and two together.  Sadly labeling and fabrics is another issue. Because when you look at it it will just say that it’s made of viscose but viscose upon my research I have found can be made from many things. I can’t buy hardly anything at Walmart because everything is made of polyester and some of it’s even made of recycled polyester and polyester is made from corn in most cases. Especially cheap stuff. Then I find out rayon can be made of any fabric too so yeah it would be great if they would label these things so that you understand exactly what you’re putting against your body. To make it worse try finding a bra that is made of 100% cotton. I am not lying when I tell you that is the hardest thing.... I have a lot of issues when it comes to fabrics and I have learned the hard way that every time I wear something that’s not ideal cotton or bamboo or 100% silk, I end up reacting. Granted I don’t know how chemically reactive to things I am. I actually got some cotton lining to go on a quilt that I making because no one sells a blanket that I can use and prior to washing it I touched it and I got sick as all get out every time I went near it and I didn’t understand it was because I have not yet watched it so in addition to these fabrics be made from corn there’s also a lot of the chemicals that they put in them like the formaldehyde and everything else that are all corn derived.” - DMD

"I crochet as a hobby. I can only use yarns that have natural fibers and no polyester blends. If I use any polyester blends, my hands develop contact dermatitis, as well as any area that comes in contact with the yarn such as my forearms and legs. The rash that develops has resulted in steroid use to clear it up! - NR

"By coincidence, I hadn't sat in one of my chairs for months, since my anaphylaxis started and allergies worsened. I had only reacted to food or smell, so didn't consider corny fibers. I suddenly began having full body  burning rashes with heart and GI symptoms. After a few occurrences, I discovered it to be the high piled fuzzy polyester cushion that I'd had for years. I stopped sitting in it, but found that even clothes that had TOUCHED the cushion would cause the same severity of reaction. I've since had to remove all polyester or manmade fibers from my wardrobe, as there's just not enough information out there about the content and production process for me to make an informed decision. I'm also struggling to find a couch that will be safe for me, and I cannot afford the ones I've found on the market." - CD


Additional Published Corn Allergy Testimonies:

The Truth About Corn Allergy, MomLifeTV, LLC


"The Surprising Food That May Cause Anger & Aggression,” By Jacqueline, Deep Roots at Home, March 18, 2020
https://deeprootsathome.com/the-surprising-food-that-may-cause-anger-aggression/

Corn Allergy: A Potentially Life-Threatening Diagnosis [9]

            In addition to trying to source corn-free textiles, it is a daily struggle for survival for anyone diagnosed with an allergy to corn – particularly since corn is EXEMPT from FDA labeling requirements. [10]  We can consume very few processed foods, and very few commercially-processed fresh food products (including organic) due to government-authorized corn-derived antimicrobial chemical washes which are also exempt from public disclosure. [11-12] Corn-allergic infants are needlessly suffering, since there are currently no commercially-manufactured corn-free infant formulas (see Reference 3).  The most heartbreaking testimonies are from our members who struggle just to find safe drinking water due to the use of corn-derived water purification chemicals; [13, 14] and others must have their medications compounded, since the majority of drug products contain excipients derived from corn. [15]


Diane H., Corn Allergy Advocate
Corn Allergy Advocacy/Resources
Twitter:  @CornAllergy911

References:

[1] Tan BM, Sher MR, Good RA, Bahna SL. Severe food allergies by skin contact. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2001;86(5):583-586. doi:10.1016/S1081-1206(10)62908-0
[2] "Threading Your Way Through the Labeling Requirements Under the Textile and Wool Acts," Federal Trade Commission, July, 2014
[3] “Corn: It's Everything,” Iowa Corn
[4] "Textile Spotlight: Ingeo, Fabric Made from Corn"
[5] "12 Strange Eco-Friendly Materials People Are Actually Designing Clothes With"
[6] "Corn Fabric: Superior in use and fine in comfort"
[7] "Farm to label: Turning corn into textiles"
[8] "Corn fiber – an exciting addition to the world of fabrics"
[9] Corn Allergy: A Potentially Life-Threatening Diagnosis
[10] FDA CONFIRMS THAT CORN IS EXEMPT FROM FDA LABELING REQUIREMENTS
[11] FDA AND USDA CONFIRM THAT CORN-DERIVED ANTIMICROBIAL CHEMICALS APPLIED TO FRESH FOOD PRODUCTS ARE EXEMPT FROM PUBLIC DISCLOSURE
[12] FDA CONFIRMS CORNSTARCH USED IN PACKAGING MATERIALS IS EXEMPT FROM PUBLIC DISCLOSURE
[13] A mother's desperate struggle to find safe water for her corn-allergic infant son.
[14] An Allergy to Corn May Contribute to Vitamin/Iodine Deficiencies, in Addition to Dehydration Due to the Lack of Access to Corn-Free Water
[15] My June 16, 2020, Email to the FDA Re: Corn Labeling in Drug/Biologic Products


Additional References:

Corn Allergy References, Surveys, Studies, Statistics, & Petitions
(Includes my submission to The Joint Commission, Congress, FDA, & U.S. Dept. of Health requesting emergency mandate that hospitals stock corn-free foods, liquids, & drugs.)

Corn Allergy Statistics (Monthly)

Corn Products/Derivatives to Avoid with a Corn Allergy



No comments:

Post a Comment

The intentional endangerment of corn-allergic citizens by U.S. regulatory agencies. [DOCUMENTED]

I was diagnosed with an IgE-mediated allergy to corn in 2011, and have been a full-time corn allergy advocate/researcher since 2014. My pu...