Thursday, November 9, 2017

AAAAI, Ask the Expert, Phil Lieberman, M.D., 3/22/13

"Elimination of corn maltodextrin in patients with eosinophilic esophagitis who have a positive skin test to corn"

"Corn is not one of the common “Big 6” allergens that are felt to worsen eosinophilic esophagitis . . ."

". . . the fact that your patient has a positive skin test to corn or to any other food would not automatically suggest removal of that food from their diet."
http://www.aaaai.org/ask-the-expert/elimination-of-corn-maltodextrin


In response to Dr. Lieberman's statement, I sent him the following documentation:

"Maize/Corn," Thermo Scientific, 2012
"Maize has been implicated as one of the causative foods of eosinophilic esophagitis, a disorder with symptoms suggestive of gastroesophageal reflux disease but unresponsive to conventional reflux therapies (58)."
http://www.phadia.com/en/Products/Allergy-testing-products/ImmunoCAP-Allergen-Information/Food-of-Plant-Origin/Grains/MaizeCorn/

Maltodextrin, Wikipedia
"Maltodextrin can be enzymatically derived from any starch. In the US, this starch is usually corn; in Europe, it is commonly wheat."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltodextrin

My Personal Story:
From 2008-2011 I suffered daily reactions to nearly everything I consumed--it felt like I was being poisoned.  Since I did not realize that I had an allergy to corn (ubiquitous), I did not take an antihistamine to resolve my symptoms; and these reactions lasted for up to 7 hours every day.  When I was finally referred to an allergist, I only tested at 1+ for corn per skin-scratch testing; yet my reactions to corn/corn derivatives are severe; e.g., I experienced one of my worst reactions after consuming a small amount of iodized salt with corn-derived dextrose, and my reactions to corn-derived citric acid and corn-derived ascorbic acid are just as severe.

Therefore, no medical professional should ever encourage anyone to consume their allergen in any amount, unless they are in the presence of their physician.  Based on the personal testimonies I read on a daily basis--particularly from those who are anaphylactic to corn, anything derived from corn can cause an allergic/anaphylactic response.

STRICT AVOIDANCE OF ALLERGEN IS ADVISED:

Food Allergy & Anaphylaxsis Connection Team (FAACT)
"Although food allergy desensitizations are being studied, these are not yet proven treatments, so strict avoidance is the only way to prevent an allergic reaction."

"Trace amounts of an allergen can trigger an allergic reaction in some individuals."
https://www.foodallergyawareness.org/foodallergy/

"Patient education: Food allergy treatment and avoidance (Beyond the Basics)," Scott H. Sicherer, MD, FAAAAI, UpToDate, April 25, 2017
"People with food allergies can have serious or even life-threatening reactions after consuming certain foods. The most important strategy in the management of food allergies is to avoid eating these foods."


December 31, 2017, Notification to American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology (AAAAI):
Since the advice offered by Dr. Phil Lieberman can endanger the lives of corn-allergic patients, I sent a request to the AAAAI to remove this paper from their website.


Diane H., Corn Allergy Advocate
Corn Allergy Advocacy/Resources
@CornAllergy911





7 comments:

  1. I’m really amazed with your posting skills as well as with the layout on your blog site. Very informative and well written post! Quite interesting and nice topic chosen for the post Nice Post keep it up.Excellent post.
    dr phil test

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy that you find my blog informative, and thank you very much for your kind and encouraging sentiments.

      Delete
  2. Usually, I never comment on blogs but your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job Man, Keep it up.
    skin allergy doctor Virginia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your kind and thoughtful sentiments.

      Delete
    2. For the protection of visitors to my blog, I am deleting all comments that contain a suspicious link; e.g., "skin allergy doctor Virginia," with no URL reference.

      Delete
  3. Awesome !! Such An Great Informative Article thanx for Sharing :)
    skin allergy doctor Virginia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I appreciate your kind and thoughtful comments, I refrain from clicking on the link you posted. Since I am trying to protect other visitors to my blog, please refrain from posting a link that appears to be not viable; e.g., when I Googled "skin allergy doctor Virginia," this is the result of my inquiry:
      https://www.google.com/search?q=skin+allergy+doctor+virginia&rlz=1C1NHXL_enUS726US726&oq=skin+allergy&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j0i433l3j0l2j69i65.4435j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

      Thank you for your understanding.

      Delete

The intentional endangerment of corn-allergic citizens by U.S. regulatory agencies. [DOCUMENTED]

I was diagnosed with an IgE-mediated allergy to corn in 2011, and have been a full-time corn allergy advocate/researcher since 2014. My pu...